Welcome to FA-IWP-01.MACOMB.EDU., the Macomb Student Web Server. This server is for educational purposes only and has policies that are meant to protect the educational environment.
Each server in the "real world" has policies
regarding fair use and acceptable file types, so getting use to the nature
of allowable content is something each of us must do anyway. Remember, we are
here to protect the educational accessibility of all students enrolled in ITWP
courses at Macomb.
This site offers no 'local editing' features. Be sure
to download FileZilla or use an FTP application that you are familiar with to
post work to this server. The alternative application must support
the ability to change the ftp port number.
New: File structure has been a constant source of problems and something
students tend to ignore. In light of this, we have decided to implement a
very structured root directory, and as such, will not tolorate any extra
files in the root level folder.
The file structure of the root level folder will contain the following
The followng two files will be located in the same root folder.
WARNING: ALL OTHER FILES AND FOLDERS FOUND IN THE ROOT DIRECTORY
WILL BE REMOVED.
You may, from time to time, find a text file named "WARNING_READ_AND_DELETE.dat".
Finding this file means that you have posted an inappropriate file or folder
(according to this document.)
This is a PRIVATE network. As such, you must have a userid and
password to gain access. All persons having an account on this server
are responsible for keeping their userid and password safe.
MCC Student Server Rules & Policies
- This is a PRIVATE network. As such, you must have a userid and password to gain access. All persons having an account on this server are responsible for keeping their userid and password safe.
- All accounts are bound by the fair use policies set forth in the student handbook. Accounts found in violation will be immediately suspended, no questions asked, no excuses accepted.
- This is NOT a permanent repository. Students are encouraged to keep archival copies of all their work.
- System backups are NOT performed. Students are required to maintain copies of all materials posted herein.
- Accounts expire at the end of the current semester, 24 months hence. If you take other ITWP courses, the clock is 'reset'. There is no warning system in place. At the end of the 24-month grace period, all files and folders and account information will be removed from the system.
- Unfortunately circumstances may require that all student user files must be removed. This will only happen between semesters, if at all. If you need access reinstated, contact the network administrator through your former instructor.
- Do NOT store AVI, MOV, MP3, QuickTime or any other type of movie files on this web site, storing of such files is strictly forbidden. Files will be deleted without notice.
- Do NOT store PDF, zip, or PowerPoint files on this web site, storing of such files is strictly forbidden. Files will be deleted without notice.
- All MP3 files found on this system will be removed without warning.
- Do NOT upload BMP or any other image file types except JPG, PNG, and GIF.
- There is a size limitation for JPG, PNG and GIF images of 1 MB. All image files exceeding this limitation will be removed.
- While sound files are a necessary part of ITWP1000, there remains a 1 MG limitation for size. All sound files exceeding this limitation will be removed. Acceptable file formats are: wav, midi, ogg, or au.
- All WAV, MIDI, and other sound files must remain within your /ITWP1000 path (or /1000). All sound files found outside of the /ITWP1000 path will be removed.
- Each account has a DATABASE folder, which is the only folder granting read-write access. This is the ONLY folder with such rights. Do NOT remove or alter the name of this folder in any way, rights will be extinguished and it is hard to restore access rights.
- DO NOT create a DB folder. Even though some of the documents may still refer to this Brinkster format, use the provided DATABASE folder instead.
- You may only have one DATABASE folder located in the root directory. Other DATABASE folders will not support the write access required and are essentially useless. If we find DB folders posted on the server, they are subject to removal.
- .TXT files MUST be located in the /DATABASE folder. TXT files may be used for read only or read/write access.
- You may use .DAT files in all other folders understanding that they are read only by virtue of the location. Do NOT use .DAT files in your /DATABASE folder.
- To retrieve your password, go to: http://fa-iwp-01.macomb.edu/lookup. If this web site does not provide your password, please contact the network administrator through your instructor.
- This file (index.htm) MUST be overwritten with your new index.htm page or your user account may be considered unoccupied and subject to removal. Please print a copy for future reference.
- All files found on this server with a non-standard, non-class related extension will be removed without warning.
- Any files or folders located at the root level that are not default files or folders will be removed without warning.